Friday, September 27, 2013

Riffing on Online Dating.

Once, about three years ago, I tried online dating.

As I've said before, there aren't many people that work at the Inferno, we're about a fifty-person strong group. And only two out of those fifty are single men, one of which is in his fifties and is one of those stereotypically awkward IT guys, and the other is a guy I started on the same day with five and a half years ago. He's always had a soft spot in my heart because we've grown within the company together, but I've never had the guts to ask him on a date for fear of rejection; not that I would normally give a hoot about this with a guy on the street, but when you spend five days a week, eight hours a day in the same general vicinity as someone, you don't want things to suddenly become uncomfortable. I never met customers, at least not face to face. There was ONE TIME that I tried to set up a date with a customer because he thought I sounded sexy, then come to find out that he had a steady out-of-state girlfriend and she didn't need to know. So, that was the first, and last time that I ever set up a date with a customer.

And although things just ended with Sir Riddle, I'll be starting at a large company soon so there should be more people to meet, and I should be alone for a bit, I've been considering trying the online dating scene again.

Yes, this may be because of my ex's wedding, and that now I'm watching the progression of his happy Vegas honeymoon on Facebook. But I think sometimes it's good to take stock of your priorities. And I just want to love someone. I've decided that I want to spend my life with someone, and I don't want to wait to start anymore. I just have all this love inside of me, and I want to share it with someone, I want to be able to trust someone and be honest with someone and be best friends and lovers with someone. Is that so much to ask?

The problem that I had with online dating was that people never were as they seemed. There was one guy, he was really cute in his pictures. When it came time to meet him, though, at first I didn't recognize him, he was larger and looked nothing like his pictures. But therein lies the problem, doesn't it? People are always going to put the pictures that they look best in.

What I think people should be required to put at least ONE picture where they don't look great on their profile. There should be a one ugly picture requirement. Where you say, this is the worst I look, and if this is too much for you, I understand. And people should have to date their pictures. I mean, if you're in your thirties, and your pictures on your profile are from when you were in high school and college, they should be disqualified, even if you think you do look the same. You should be required to have a picture that is from the last three months as your profile picture. I mean, I'm not saying that looks are everything, but they do count for something. I mean, I'm not aware of many happy marriages where one half of the couple believes the other is unattractive. Yes, personality is huge. And I think that when you're physically attracted to someone, it means that the part of their personality that shines through is what makes you attracted to someone else.

The other thing is that I wish with online dating is that after the first meeting you can just say "I'm sorry, but it's not right." There is only so much you can tell through emails- yes, you might be attracted to their pictures (of course, they are the best pictures of them, so if you're not attracted to them at their best you're sure as hell not going to be attracted to them at their worst), and they might seem awesome in emails, but eventually you have to meet them. There is something to be said in those first few minutes, meeting someone face-to-face for the first time. Either it's awkward, or it's like you're meeting up with an old friend. If it's awkward, I'm sorry, but I really don't want to see that person again. I feel awkward all the time. Like this:
So I don't, ideally, want to feel this way with my significant other. Which is why I think that should be an online dating rule. I feel horrible about never wanting to see someone again, even if they are the most atrocious person alive, I feel bad. So I think I should have the right to say to this person: I'm sorry, dude, obviously you have a great personality because I wanted to go out on a date with you, but I'm just not feeling it. There's nothing wrong with that, is there? Is saying that going to make the bitch of the online dating world? 

So, here is what I intend on doing. First, I need to take some recent pictures of myself. Because I'm not one for pictures; the entire time that Lord Milquetoast and I were together, seven years, we maybe had ten pictures. Maybe. I had none with Signor Nookie. I'm not a big picture person; my biological father used to take pictures of me ALL THE TIME. And it just got annoying. So I'm not a big picture person. Not that I think I'm horribly, grotesquely ugly, but, you know, I'm one of those people that need an occasion to take a picture. 

Anyways, pictures. So of course there will be pictures where I look good, but there will be either dates or the length of time that has passed since the picture was taken. I will take one picture of me without makeup, so they know what, if things go well, I look like in the morning or at night. And, if this is not the picture where I look worst, then another picture where I think I look terrible. 

In addition, I plan on giving a pros and cons list about myself. 

Pros: 
  • I think I'm a pretty decent, kind person. 
  • I'm honest to a fault. 
  • I got great tits and a fantastic ass. 
  • I consider myself hilarious. 
  • I'm creative: I sew, I crochet, I write. 
  • I'll try anything once.
  • I'm becoming an expert crock pot cook. 
  • I'm very open and I trust easily. 
Cons: 
  • I'm honest to a fault (because yes, that's both a pro and a con) 
  • I have a bit of a temper. Mostly if I'm lost. I HATE being lost. 
  • My biggest pet peeve is repeating myself more than once or asking people to repeat themselves more than once. 
  • I talk to myself, which some find irritating. 
  • I'm very open and I trust easily, but if you give me a reason not to it's hard for me to regain trust in the person. 
  • I'm more of a homebody than a go-out adventurous type, which seems like I'm lazy (and sometimes I am) but I am doing things around the house. 
Something like that. I think it's important to be able to point out your faults, and to let the person know what they're in for, so they have an idea of what they're in for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment